• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Food-Related Phlegm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
...Not to be confused with sickness-related phlegm. I was wondering how common this was with people, though I'm sure I've got an extreme case of it.

Whenever I eat something sugary or dairy-y (I normally avoid dairy anyway), in the minute or so following chewing and swallowing, I get this phlegm that is quite clearly from the food I just ate, but it's just like any old phlegm. Oh, sometimes it happens when I eat something greasy too. Then I just spit it out, if possible.

ugh, using the word "phlegm" this many times is making me sick...

I was wondering if anyone else experiences this, and if so, do you think that it's good? Is it possible that my system is separating out the bad stuff (excess sugar n crap) and putting it into phlegm (ugh, there has got to be a better word.)?

I do not personally get this, but I am sure that dairy does cause mucus production (and thus is bad if you sing).

yes if you eat something like dairy you will get some thick saliva type stuff...it might even coat your tongue.

I don't see what the problem is really? Its not phlegm...it sorta has the consistency of phlegm. Whats the big deal?

Milk is good for you. Ignore what the vegan hippies tell you about mucus.

It's not really a problem...

And speaking as a vegan hippie, milk turns out to not be good for ME. Mucus production means our body is rejecting something. If we get it when we eat dairy...hmmmm...2+2...

So it's decided that milk can onset mucus production. Okay, what about sugar?

why does mucus production mean our body is 'rejecting' something? (what does that even mean?)

Milk is a non-essential food that provides a good balance of macronutrients (protein, fat, carbohydrates). You don't NEED it to live, but it HELPS you be stronger.

I get mucus in my throat from sports drinks like Gatorade. It's not too distracting; I just swallow it down.

if its so much that it is causing sneezing or drainage then it is most likely an allergy that a lot people have, its not so much an allergy from the food(s) itself but enzymes in foods that will trigger the allergy symptoms, its nothing serious in fact most people have it and dont even notice it

also some people have an allergy to dairy products and the reaction to drinking them is increased mucus production

I cant think of any reasons why sugars, or greasy foods would cause mucus production...

^Me too. Same with milk. It disappears soon after though! Hmmm... I love milk and spicy food.

Spicy is a little different... The mucus comes up because the spicy helps remove what's already there. Clears out the sinuses.

Gaian Planes:

What does 'rejecting' mean?

This is pretty basic... When you cough, you're body is rejecting something your throat. When you sneeze; your nose. When you get diarrhea; your digestive tract. Mucus; your breathing passages.

It's a well known fact that mucus your body's way of expelling microscopic evil-doers, such as dust particles, pathogens, or in my case, allergens like dairy.

The idea of your body rejecting something is not hokey-pokey at all, it's a well-known idea accepted in the medical community. It might not be termed that way, but the body has its elimination processes...

Status
Not open for further replies.